Thursday, February 8, 2018

Meeting the Rajasic State


Question:

How might you begin the third session with a 40-year-old client (either yoga or psychotherapy) who arrives in a rajasic(anxious) state? Her speech is rapid, her thoughts are racing and she’s fidgeting. Think about the language you might use to invite her to try something different.


- I would begin to set up the safe and sacred container by lighting a candle when she comes in. Maybe we could chant an opening mantra as a centering practice if there is something she likes or that we have been working with.  It’s important that I meet her rajasic mood and not try to force calming practices on her right away. I would meet her where she is right now. I want to establish an opening ritual that would occur each time between us.  This ritual would offer a moment of transition from whatever she was doing or experiencing before entering the yoga room to the therapeutic yoga private session experience.  I would make sure my eyes are always open.


- I would check in with her verbally asking if she wanted to share anything. I would make sure that she knows all feelings and emotions are welcome and she has permission to be who she is right now.  I would also let her know she has permission not to share.  I would affirm that I am here for her.  I would check myself to make sure I am actively listening.  I would stress that she has permission to modify, stop and or redirect the conversation or any yogic practice at any time.

- I would begin some pranayama first with just watching the breath without trying to change anything.  Then, I would offer Stair Step Breathing with bhavana as a way to meet her rajasic mood. state.  I could also use breath of joy.

- I would suggest a grounding mudra after the breathing like adhi or bhu

- At some point in the beginning maybe after the breathing when she’s settled down some I would ask her to set an intention for class. If she wanted to share the intention we could talk about it. I would make sure she also could keep it private if she wanted. If she wanted help with the intention we could formulate it together.  I could also introduce this as part of the opening ritual if I felt she was ready for it then.

- I would begin asana with an energizing practice like Joint Freeing Series, Cat Cow Variations, or ½ Sun Salutes to meet her anxious mood with the intention of moving and meeting the rajasic energy. Working under the principle “meet the rajasic state with vigor, then move to a more calming practice.”  The whole time it would be important that I cue to direct sensation (hands, fingers, feet, etc…).  It is equally important that I pause and check in from time to time.  I would make sure she knows that there is no way to get it wrong. I would also cue breath awareness.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is much appreciated.

Namaste,

Nya