Thursday, November 19, 2015

Autobiography

My name is Nya Patrinos.  Nya means guide in Sanskrit, It comes from the verb ni which means to lead or guide.  My life purpose is to act as a guide for myself and others to use art and yoga for healing and transformation. This is one of my favorite paintings I have made about the fusion of Yoga and Art.

I grew up in a political active mixed race household.  My parents are black and white and Christian and Jewish.  I never felt like I fit in anywhere.  My feelings of being an outsider led me to art and writing as vehicles for self comfort.

I was a competitive athlete from the age of 6. At 30 my body started to fall a part. I began practicing yoga seriously as a way to heal chronic knee pain after all else failed. But yoga is now much more to me than a pain management strategy it is a way of life.

I have a BA in Environmental Design and a MFA in Scenic Design.  I have worked most of my adult life as a designer. Yoga wise, I have certifications in Therapeutic Vinyasa , Yin Yoga and Yoga Nidra.  I take yoga class about 5 times a week and I am devoted to a hot yoga.

I am very interested in the fusion of art and yoga. I studied the combination of these disciples at AyurYoga Eco Ashram in Kerala India and Otis College of Art.  I have taught several workshops at my yoga studio, The Yogi Tree under the title Art/Yoga Fusion.  I enrolled in A4AP to develop my skills as an art yoga teacher.

My career goal is to work full time as a Yoga Therapist, Yoga Teacher, Artist and Transformative Art Teacher.  I would like to work with people with both physical and emotional challenges.  I would like to write some books (Stretching  the Emotional Body, Nyasa Yoga Nidra, 5 Element Yin, Yin Yoga for the Chakras), lead teacher trainings, travel and teach and have a steady lucrative practice in Los Angeles. I also want to learn Sanskrit and spend a few months at Santosh Puri Ashram in India which is a center of Art and Yoga.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is much appreciated.

Namaste,

Nya