Monday, April 30, 2012

First Class with Karl Dempwolf


I had my first class with Karl Dempwolf this Saturday.  I have wanted to study with him for many years but couldn't quite figure it out.  We painted at King Gilette Ranch.  I was very clumbsy out there painting in the plein air with my fancy umbrella and easel.  I felt like I sort of forgot everything that I ever knew about painting.

My paintings were sort of a mush of nothing.  It was weird,  Karl would come over and correct the painting and he seemed to make more of a mush,  He was totally different than other landscape teachers I have had .  He walked around the whole class talking to people and helping them.  My last landscape painting teacher sort of just worked on his own painting sort of forgetting he was teaching anything.

I will post my paintings once they dry.  The are very wet right now.

I liked Karl as a teacher I think I can learn a lot from him. 

My first painting I had a real hard time getting any separation in foreground middle ground and background.  My second painting was more informational than painterly,  I had all the right amount of windows in my building and I had trees,  Karl told me I had a building and I had trees but I didn't have a painting.


I think I will study with him as much as I can.  I had gotten intimidated and afraid to paint.  But now I feel like I have to start somewhere and sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is much appreciated.

Namaste,

Nya