Sunday, May 3, 2015

Creativity Coaching - Lesson 12 - Doubt

This was the self-coaching question this week I chose in Eric Maisel's Creativity Coaching Training Program:

Is it possible to never doubt yourself?  If not, what does that imply?



“The worst enemy of creativity is self-doubt,” Sylvia Plath 


I don't see how it could be possible for me not to NEVER doubt myself.  But I think I can doubt myself less. I am very good at doubting but I am thinking now about how to  trust intuition more and feelings instead of all the reasons I am not good enough and being overcome with doubt.



I feel vulnerable and insecure about being an artist and I have an incredible amount of doubt.  My doubt can be paralyzing.  I know I need to re-frame the doubt.


The thought "I am not good enough" perhaps can become :


"I am exploring"
"I am discovering my voice"
"I need to work on some tangible things that I am weak at."




One example is that I am having a hard time drawing shoes in my costume drawing class.  I am finding the task difficult every week.  I would like to take some time tomorrow and look online and in my art books about how to draw shoes.  I would like to do some master copies of shoes and see how people like Gibson dealt with shoes. Taking the time to address my weakness and figure out solutions to my drawings problems one by one I believe would help me build my confidence and alleviate some doubt.



Instead of "I am not good enough" I would like to say, this "xyz is not working right now, what can I do to fix it" or "what small tangible thing can I bring attention to."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is much appreciated.

Namaste,

Nya