Sunday, April 4, 2010

Millard Sheets: The Early Years - Pasadena Museum of California Art

Tim and I went to see this exhibition of Millard Sheets on Friday. It was quite comprehensive and I liked the enthusiasm and optimism of the work. I was very inspired by the exhibit and I loved the way he worked in both watercolors and oils. I wish there was more information about where some of the pictures were painted and his painting process. There was a lot of mythic story telling.

I don't know where these african-american ladies were painted and what their story is - but I will do some investigating.
Sheets had a lot of paintings with these fairy tale horses with these incredibly long necks. The landscapes often felt sculpted and seem very much like human bodies.




1 comment:

  1. Looks very Thomas Hart Benton-esque...maybe they are connected.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It is much appreciated.

Namaste,

Nya