Friday, December 30, 2016

Reflections on Ayurveda and Samkhya - Question 3

The Samkhya view of the world forms the basis of Ayurveda and creates a totally different approach to health than we have in the West. Some of the main foundations of the Ayurvedic approach to health which stem from Samkhya philosophy are:

a) If we have always existed and will continue to exist in some form, then life and death do not have the same finite and tragic sense often given in our culture.

b) From the Samkhya perspective, nature was formed from consciousness or spirit; therefore, spirit is primary and nature is secondary. This means that the body is a secondary aspect of our
being and that the health of the spirit is primary.

c) Body, mind, and spirit are aspects of the unfolding universe and therefore approaches to health must integrate all three.

How do these concepts fit into your current practice and/or teaching of Yoga as well as
any other healing practice you are involved with? What possibilities do they offer for
changing mainstream approaches to health in our culture?

a) If we have always existed and will continue to exist in some form, then life and death do not have the same finite and tragic sense often given in our culture.



I have talked about this exact concept in my lunar hatha class that focuses on the nityas.  I introduce this concept as good news. If  we are always here in some form and always will be here and then we are not separate from anything or anyone.

I am reminded of the mantra So ham which I first learned meant "I am all that is."  I am all that is, I am all that was, I am all that will be.  I am timeless.

It  we will always exist in some form we can adopt a different perspective on death and grief.  My grandaunt just died and I experienced great grief.  But did she die or did she just into another form. I don't need to grieve her loss I can celebrate her transformation.

Einstein says matter is neither created or destroyed. Knowing the timelessness and innerconnectedness of our nature puts me at ease with my grandaunt and all my other perceived losses.

 This concept also reinforces for me the power of the present moment. Being in the present moment is of the out most importance because that is all that we really have.  But I also must affirm the reality of the present moment as all that we have is not an excuse to do nothing or be hopeless.  It is a wake up call to be alive and pay attention.


b) From the Samkhya perspective, nature was formed from consciousness or spirit; therefore, spirit is primary and nature is secondary. This means that the body is a secondary aspect of our being and that the health of the spirit is primary.


Spirit is who we are. We must take care of and nourish the spirit through spiritual practices. Body is important but it isn't the most important.  We must not forget about the spirit because we are obsessed with the body.  The body is just the box, the wrapping paper, the box and the wrapping paper are not the gift.


c) Body, mind and spirit are aspects of the unfolding universe and therefore approaches to health must integrate all three.



I believe in integration of mind, body and wholeheartedly this is why I use yoga nidra, intention and mudra in all my yoga classes.  Western medicine treats the body and appeals to the mind - I am giving you "pill, surgery, exercise" this for this condition, I am operating on this organ because of this condition. The problem is Western Medicine doesn't address the spirit.  There is no talk of connection or oneness. Maybe the illness, disease that is manifesting is not the cause but the symptom.  Western Medicine treats symptom after symptom with no concern for the root problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is much appreciated.

Namaste,

Nya