Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Taking Ayurvedic Tests

Perform the Ayurvedic tests (both prakruti and vikruti), located in the Student Resources section
of the IYT website: iytyogatherapy.com. Journal on your experience and what you feel
your Ayurvedic constitution (prakruti) is. What are your main areas of imbalance (vikruti)
and how do these affect your life




When I was in India a few years back my yoga teacher in Pushkar told me I was a Pitta-Kapha.  He said my mom was a pure Pitta but I was a mixture. I remember last year Maria Mendola told me I had a luscious Kapha body and I didn't know if that was code for saying I was fat.  But here I go on the Ayurvedic tests to see what they have to say.



"According to Ayurveda, Prakruti means the physical constitution of a person and vikruti means the state of disease. Prakruti is the science of nature which determines the innate character, physical constitution or disposition of a person. It helps in deciding the ideal lifestyle and therapeutic regimen for an individual. Depending on the predominance of a single dosha, or different permutations and combinations, Prakruti could be of seven types out of which the three main types are vata, pitta and kapha . . . "


PRAKRUTI

"According to Ayurveda, your basic constitution is determined at the time of conception. This constitution is called Prakruti. The term Prakruti is a Sanskrit word that means, "nature," "creativity," or "the first creation." One of the very important concept of Ayurveda is that one's basic constitution is fixed throughout his lifetime. The combination of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha that was present in the individual at the time of conception is maintained throughout his lifetime. This is your base point. Notice that different persons can have different combination of Vata, Pitta and kapha as their basic constitution or Prakruti. This is how Ayurveda can explain the subtle differences between individuals and explains why everyone is unique and that two persons can react very differently when exposed to the same environment or stimuli. Your Prakruti is unique to you just as your fingerprint and DNA. Thus, in order to understand a person, it is necessary to determine his or her Prakruti"
http://holisticonline.com/ayurveda/ayv-basis-prakruti-and-vikruti.htm

My prakruti test differs a lot

Physical build: Kapha (4) and Vata (4) are even and Pitta is low (1)
Energetic Principles: Pitta is very dominant: Pitta (4), Vata (1), Kapha (1)
(this makes sense to me because even if I have a Kapha body I am not slow or sluggish in the way I live my life)
Physical Characteristics: Kapha (11) dominant, them Pitta (8), lastly Vata (5)
Physiological Functions: Vata (9) Pitta (9) and Kapha (7): most of many health problems are vata problems. I am not sure what this means.
Psychological aspects: Here I am very Pitta (11), Vata (6) and Kapha (2)

It's interesting because I feel like I have some of the health concerns and creativity of a Vata, the physical characteristics of a Kapha and the emotions and world view of a Pitta.  I don't really see this as a balance but more of the many personalities that are in my body due to my gemini nature.

My overall prakruti score was

VATA - 24
PITTA - 33
KAPHA - 25

This shows a strong and dominant Pitta score in my prakruti

VIKRUTI

"Your current condition is called your vikruti. Although it reflects your ability to adjust to life's influences and is always changing, it should match your prakruti, or inborn constitution, as closely as possible. If the current proportion of your doshas differs significantly from your constitutional proportion, it indicates imbalances, which in turn can lead to illness. Farther your Vikruti is from your Prakruti, more ill you are. Ayurveda teaches that your Vikruti can be changed by means of diet and meditation so as to approach your Prakruti or the state where you have perfect health."


My Vikruti test results

AIR: 27
FIRE: 39
EARTH: 35

My vikruti actually shows less Pitta dominance than my Prakruti which signifies to me that my Pitta is out of balance right now with my true nature. My Kapha is much stronger in my Vikruti than in my Prakruti which makes me feel like I need a Kapha reducing program.

I am not really sure what this means.  I don't know if I want a high score or a low score or if the question is how do these scores relate to each other. I have know that I have a lot of fire in me, earth comes second and air last.  I am a fiery person and I often joke no one ever thought they would put blacks and Jews together and make a calm person. This makes sense to me if I am a Pitta-Kapha like Yogesh Yogi told me.  I am firery but I am also earth.  I feel like I have characteristics of air in me but it doesn't feel dominate but they assert themselves from time to time in my creativity.  And why has the Kapha become so high, and is that not good because it is not my true nature.  That's a little confusing and something I would like to work on more.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is much appreciated.

Namaste,

Nya